Okay…so I admit I am not 100% sure what to do with this and I didn’t see the directions link at the end until too late! Since Neal tagged me, I decided instead of asking I was just going to wing it. Hopefully I will not break any rules for this type of thing. Apparently this meme was started by Bruce Reyes-Chow, who may apparently be the next moderator of the Presbyterian Church (USA). So here goes!
- What is your earliest memory of being distinctly Presbyterian? For me this is easy. It was November of last year. I was invited to a Presbyterian church by a friend of mine and decided to try it out. I liked it right off the bat but I was definitely skeptical because of my previous faith background. But God was on the move and He moved me right out of my comfort zone (which had ironically become vary uncomfortable) and into a place I could learn and grow and serve God and the church with the gifts He has given me. How refreshing. When I heard the words “God alone is Lord of the conscience” my heart lept for joy! The words “good order and discipline” have a similar effect but it is more….orderly and disciplined. ; ) Shameless.
- On what issue/question should the PC(USA) spend LESS energy and time?
I am not sure I really know what to put here. I haven’t been part of the dialogue long enough.
- On what issue/question should the PC(USA) spend MORE energy and time?
I can say with this one that I think the PC(USA) should spend more time and energy in assessing how the culture of worship and the church in general needs to change to be more reflective of the world in which we live. No, I am not saying the church needs to be more worldly (God forbid…it’s already worldly enough in some ways). What I am saying is culture is living and moving and the church should be too.
- If you could have the PC(USA) focus on one passage of scripture for a entire year, what would it be?
- If the PC(USA) were an animal what would it be and why?
Well, I wasn’t sure what to put on this but in the spirit of things I decided to use google to answer this one. One thing I like about the Presbyterian church (as I mentioned above) is that one is able to freely love God will all their mind. So I googled “smart animals” and I found a slide presentation on National Geographic’s website about that very topic. Of the animals they presented, I chose the elephant. First of all, I like elephants. Secondly, they are rather slow to move for the most part, but when they want to they can get up speed and when an animal that large is running towards something, the result is going to be change. Thirdly, and back to the intelligence factor, the story they list in the powerpoint goes like this:
A baby elephant gets stuck in a hole. Momma elephant notices and makes a commotion. A few other elephants come to the scene and they all raise commotion together for a bit. Then the large elephants enter the hole with the baby elephant and start scraping dirt off the side of the wall to allow the baby elephant to climb out using the scrapped dirt as a ramp.I see it like this:
Someone does something (<—– insert topic here) and finds themselves in a situation (the hole) where they aren’t sure what to do. Someone notices and they aren’t sure what to do either. It’s not in the constitution, we haven’t seen this before, the last time this happened was 50 years ago, etc. So they make a bit of commotion to get the attention of others. Then they make a lot of commotion together while discussing the issue and all the implications of each choice of action. Then there is consensus and action is taken. What is not in the elephant story is an adequate parallel for the update of the constitution.
I must say if this comes across as sacrilegious, please pay me no mind…I am a newbie. I’ll learn eventually. : )
Extra Credit: Jesus shows up at General Assembly this year, what does he say to the Presbyterian Church (USA)? Hmmm…I think I don’t know so no extra credit for me!
So now I get to tag five people which is hard because I barely know 5 people on here yet. If you get this and you aren’t sure who I am, it means I found your blog and you looked like a good candidate. The rules (along with an explanation) can be found here, and I tag…Work In Progress, Apologies to Eutychus, One Small Place in the World, and Avdat. I would have tagged More Cows and Tribal Church but someone beat me too it.